Issue with Numbered Bullets in Headings

RKanarek

Issue with Numbered Bullets in Headings

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

It seems to me that there is a problem with how TextMaker 2024 (TextMaker Professional 2024 (rev S1218.0824) 64bit) is handling numbered bullets in Heading paragraph styles.
I have set both “Heading 1” and “Heading 2” to include
Bullet –> Numbering. This is what I get:
[attachment=1]Subj Heading Bullet Numbering Issue1 - Excerpt.png[/attachment]
This does not seem at all correct. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Subj Heading Bullet Numbering Issue.tmdx
(46.44 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Subj Heading Bullet Numbering Issue1 - Excerpt.png
RKanarek

Re: Issue with Numbered Bullets in Headings

Post by RKanarek »

Hello, it's me, your OP, again.

Upon reflection, I believe that TM is handling heading numeric-bullets and ordinary paragraph numeric-bullets identically, even though this is not something anyone would ordinarily want. It's almost inconceivable that someone would have identical heading levels follow each other sequentially as is often done with numeric-bulleted lists, which means that it is almost inconceivable that the
Page Setup --> Chapter --> Page Numbering --> Options --> "Include heading number"
option would be of any use to anyone. Or am I missing something?

Another problem (for me) seems to be that TM continues to number bullets across even radically different contiguous paragraphs styles and "outline levels" instead of starting bullet numbering fresh at the start of every different numbered bullet paragraph style/level. In fairness, this is how numeric bulleting is described at
https://help.softmaker.com/textmaker202 ... lists.html

It is also quite regrettable that one cannot restart numbering within a contiguous string of numeric-bulleted paragraphs (and that this is not mentioned in the aforementioned help text). Changing the "Number Starts With" option of a numeric-bulleted paragraph seems to affect the first paragraph in the contiguous string, rather than only the paragraph selected and those that follow.

Considering that I created several different versions of numeric bulleted "normal" styles (e.g., some with "keep with next", some without, etc.), I can see how I'd be screwed almost however TM worked. Of course, this also means there are at least some ways TM could have worked whereby I wouldn't have been screwed -- I don't know why no one anywhere ever tries the latter choice. ;-)

Update: I think the solution to my problem is switching to "Numbered Lists" rather than numbered bullets, but I'll have to experiment with how this would affect "chapter-number hyphen page-number" pagination.

Another even smaller discovery I seem to have made was to resolve the purpose of the "Skip Numbering" option in the
Paragraph Styles --> [Paragraph Style] --> Paragraph --> Bullets and Numbering --> Skip Numbering
menu: it has none. Apparently it exists in the "Paragraph Styles" menu only because the same menu is also used for the
Format --> Paragraph
menu. (I wondered why the same menu allowed one to both configure numbering and then disable it. ;-)

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Windows”