Images management

Giovanni_Becattini

Images management

Post by Giovanni_Becattini »

Hi, I am new with Textmaker thanks for help and sorry if I did something wrong.

I never appreciated the MS Word image management, but my feeling is that Textmaker is, if possible, much worst. My images jump everywhere and I am not able to understand which logic they follow.
I want just to drag an image in the text and that the image remain aligned with the text (I believe the simplest operation I can guess in MS Word).
I set:
- In line with the text
- Move with the text
- keep the anchorage to the active paragraph
but I cannot see any logic in the consequent behavior. Sometimes the image is here, sometimes there etc..

I add that "Set as predefined" does not seem to work.

Could kindly someone help me, please?
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Images management

Post by Jossi »

TextMaker knows two types of images: embedded images and image frames. When you simply drag an image into a document, the image type it will assume depends on the mode you are in: If you are in edit mode (as you will probably be most of the time) it becomes an embedded image, if you are in object mode, it becomes an image frame. (Both image types can be converted into each other any time via the context menu.)

An embedded image is treated just like a letter of the text; it is part of the text, keeps its place between the other letters as long as it is not cut and pasted elsewhere, wanders with the text, influences the line spacing and so on, and you cannot manage it independently from the text, just like any other letter.

If one wants to have full control over an image, one should always use image frames. As you have mentioned options like „keep anchor at current paragraph“, I presume that you did just that. As there are lots of options to set the position and behaviour of an image frame in any way possible, this can make it a bit more complicated to achieve the desired result. If you want an image frame to wander with the text, the important options are "Object: Move with text" and "Horizontal/vertical position: Relative to paragraph". If "Move with text" is combined with any other object position than "relative to paragraph", chaotic results might occur.
Giovanni_Becattini

Wow! Thank you very much for your help, it works!

I did not understand that also here like in most desktop publishing software, you can have frames for images. I just switched to embedded and now the behavior is what I expected.

Probably this distinction is present also in Word, but I never noticed it.

Thanks again - I am considering leaving MS Office for ever and this was the only point I found in TM which gave me doubts.

A suggestion for the commercial guys: I bought the TM 2021 special offer, but it was not clear that there were TWO TMs, 2021 and 2024. I don't complain; for 7,95 euros I wouldn't :D and I am going to buy the 2024 version. But I lost a lot of time trying to understand why my TM was not compliant with the online information. Silly me, I agree, but I suggest to enhance the difference.
Giovanni_Becattini

Another question on the same subject: is it possible to have all the images as embedded by default?

Thanks
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

That depends on how you insert images. If you drag an image into the document when in Edit mode, it becomes an embedded image.
With classic menus, choose Object > New picture... (not Object > New picture frame...) to create an embedded image.
With ribbons, click on the black triangle under Insert > Picture and uncheck "Insert as frame". Then future images will be inserted as embedded.
Giovanni_Becattini

Thanks, but I think it is not so...
"If you drag an image into the document when in Edit mode, it becomes an embedded image"

It seems to me that I must convert it to embedded.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

You are right. I knew this behaviour from former versions of TextMaker, but obviously it has been changed in the meantime. Now insertion as a picture frame is the standard when dragging an image into the text. So you will have to either convert the picture after inserting it or use the other method I described. With the ribbon interface, once you have unchecked "insert as frame", in the future a simple click on the "Picture“ icon in the "Insert" ribbon is sufficient to insert the selected image file as an embedded object.
Giovanni_Becattini

Thanks. For me the easiest is copy (the image) and paste. It is pasted as embedded image.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Mac”