Presentation 2024 keeps crashing with embedded videos

olorin

Presentation 2024 keeps crashing with embedded videos

Post by olorin »

Hi,
When playing an embedded video, Presentation 2024 for Linux crashes. I have filed a crash report.
I had a similar problem with Presentation 2021 (https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=391&t=23316), and I see that other users have it also for Presentation NX (https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=466&t=23643).

I hope that this problem will be resolved soon, because not being able to embed videos is a huge limitation
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Presentation 2024 keeps crashing with embedded videos

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for reporting this issue and crash report but seems you forgot to attach the file due to which Presentations is crashing.

Please share the file and the movie clip using which Presentation is crashing and let us know the steps which causing this crash.

If your file is private, please send it to forum[at]softmaker.com with the link of this post.
olorin

Post by olorin »

Sure, here's the attached presentation
Attachments
crash.pptx
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 235 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for sharing this file, but we are unable to reproduce this crash. I have forwarded the file to our developer team.
HimInDoors

Post by HimInDoors »

I am a brand new SoftMaker NX user and am also getting the same issue when trying to embed MP4 videos in Presentations.

I create a simple slide show with only two slides: the first is a simple text title slide, the second slide is blank. I select the second slide and try to add the MP4 video (about 35MB in size) but nothing happens and the software freezes. I have to kill the process to get back control of my computer.

This issue is repeatable with different MP4 videos of varying sizes. The subject MP4 file plays perfectly using the default media player for my system; I have all necessary 'restricted-extras' codecs installed.

System:-
Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Kernel 5.15.0-107
Desktop Dell Optiplex 3050 with i5-7500, and AMD Radeon HD 8570 graphics card
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Please share your file in which you are getting this crash and also did you install video codec during installation of Linux Mint?
HimInDoors

Post by HimInDoors »

Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that I installed all available codecs during the installation of Linux Mint, and that the subject MP4 video does play in the default media player for Linux Mint (Celluloid).

I have been doing some more experimenting and have made an interesting discovery:-
- The presentation with embedded MP4 video does not play when I am using a linux desktop environment based on GTK (e.g. Linux Mint Cinnamon).
- However, it does play as expected when you use a QT based desktop environment (e.g. KDE).
This difference in behaviour is repeatable.

I have had the same issue with presentations and media files when using LibreOffice. Have your developers used the same code as LibreOffice?

Here is the test file with embedded MP4 file:-
Test 2.pptx
(32.1 MiB) Downloaded 174 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

HimInDoors wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:06 pm I have had the same issue with presentations and media files when using LibreOffice. Have your developers used the same code as LibreOffice?
Thank you for sharing the sample file, but we are unable to reproduce this crash. As you are facing this problem in LibreOffice also, this seems to system specific and not in SoftMaker Office.

If your Presentations crashed, did you submit the crash report? Please submit the crash form.

I have created this screen recording of this test file:
Movie play in Mint.gif
HimInDoors

Post by HimInDoors »

Thank you for your help with this issue.

I am confused: I have used Synaptic to check that I have the correct codex pack installed, and that it does not have any missing dependencies. Can you suggest what codec I need and I will try and install it manually?
Are you running your install of Linux Mint in a VM? If so, what is your base OS?

I did not file a crash report as I thought that I had caused the crash by making a mistake.

My problems with Libreoffice are repeatable across four machines (two desktop and two laptop) with a wide range of hardware and different versions of linux OS and desktop environment. The only common factor is the use of GTK. I need to do more testing and gather more data. I will report back if I discover anything.
FYI I have tried the test file using OnlyOffice software on my Optiplex machine and it works! However the user experience and functionality is inferior to Softmaker Office.
Thank you again.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

HimInDoors wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:36 pm I did not file a crash report as I thought that I had caused the crash by making a mistake.
Please submit the crash report with the sample file so that our team can analyze that (if possible).

I didn't install any coded manually, but did that during Mint Linux installation on prompt for it. I have attached the list for your reference, which I fetched using command “ffmpeg -codecs / ffmpeg -decoders”.
Mint codec list.txt
(31.84 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
cornholio

Post by cornholio »

am having same issue
POP-OS (ubuntu)
interestingly it will play video that I had embedded into presentation when previously using Mac-OS
(this is with all the POP-OS codecs installed)
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Please follow the same instructions mentioned above and share the required files.

Return to “Presentations NX and 2024 for Linux”