Size of .tmdx documents

caspar4

Size of .tmdx documents

Post by caspar4 »

When I copy contents of .rtf document into a new .tmdx document, I see the latter is 43% the size of the former.
Is that normal?
lgsl

Re: Size of .tmdx documents

Post by lgsl »

Yes it is normal.

RTF is an old format that dates back to 1987, and while the format has evolved over the years, as you can see on wikipedia, his inner workings are different to those of modern docx, otd and tmdx formats. RTF is a binary file format while docx, odt and tdmx are basically a bunch of xml files inside a zip file. In fact you could take a look at the file structures of docx, otd and tmdx formats just by changing their extensions to .zip and unzipping the files. XML-based files formats are meant to be human readable, hence the slightly bigger size.

In the case of the tmdx file format, it is modeled, as far as I am aware, after the Office Open XML standard (what MS Offices uses), but SM has added some unique features of their own. Hence why you would notice that a tmdx file can be a couple of bites bigger than a regular docx. The smallest one of the three xml-based formats is odt, since the OpenDocument standard has a simpler and cleaner structure that the one of Office Open XML.
caspar4

Re: Size of .tmdx documents

Post by caspar4 »

Thanks for clarification.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Windows”