Search and replace panel

Adeckwatt

Search and replace panel

Post by Adeckwatt »

Greetings to everyone!

First of all, I`m very thankful to all of the programmers as TextMaker is the best alternative for Word so far. But again some functions in Word are implemented a bit better.

The option I use quite often is the Search and replace window, especially I have to replace incorrectly written words throughout a file with numerous pages. What is actually the case? When I stumble upon such a word which is erroneously written, for example, in the middle of the document (so it appears for the first time in the middle), I`m eager to replace all cases of this word to its proper form. I press Ctrl+H, put the misspelled word in the first field, put the correct form in the second field and click Replace all. The job is done perfectly well, but the problem is I find myself at the top of the document, at the first page of it, and then I have to search for the page I was at before I did the replacement manipulation, and it takes time and effort.

What is more, there is an option in the same window Search from top, and when I enable it, the replacement occurs for the whole document as desired and again I find myself at the first page and need to scroll back to the place where I stopped reading the document.

So my suggestion is to somehow improve the way replacement works for the users not to search the place in the text where they stopped before replacing something. To me this seems quite sensible. Maybe I misunderstand the idea and I should improve my replacement algorithm instead, so I would be grateful for help.

A minor thing which is better realized in Word concerning Search and replacement is the way different formatting characteristics are added to words for search and replacement. For instance, if I want to replace the word written in regular style with the same word written in bold style, I have to go to the specific menu, while in Word I can just press Ctrl+B with the focus in the right field. Actually I already got used to it, still there is a little inconvenience about it.

Both cases are not bugs in any way, just wanted to share some user experience, hope that`s alright.

Finally, there would be great to add a counter of cases while searching. For example, I want to know how many times the concrete word is written with the capital letter and how many times it is written with the uppercase letter before doing any manipulations with it. It can be realized as a additional button of the Search and replace panel, while in Word it is done as a separate column, or the number of cases can be written under the search field with dynamic updating while typing (to find lexical forms with the same root, etc.).

Thanks for your attention. I wish you all the best.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Search and replace panel

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your suggestions. I have forwarded these improvement suggestions to our product management.
Adeckwatt wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:55 pm Finally, there would be great to add a counter of cases while searching. For example, I want to know how many times the concrete word is written with the capital letter and how many times it is written with the uppercase letter before doing any manipulations with it. It can be realized as a additional button of the Search and replace panel, while in Word it is done as a separate column, or the number of cases can be written under the search field with dynamic updating while typing (to find lexical forms with the same root, etc.).
We also have this feature in sidebar under Search, if you want case-sensitive search you can check the option "Case sensitive" before doing search. It's similar to MS-Word.
Adeckwatt

Post by Adeckwatt »

SuperTech wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:12 am Thanks for your suggestions. I have forwarded these improvement suggestions to our product management.
Thank you!
SuperTech wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:12 am We also have this feature in sidebar under Search.
Actually, what I meant was not simply to search every single entry via the corresponding panel, but to count its number, that is the quantity of each search entry in the document. For instance, I search for the word "panel" in the document and type "panel" (with "p"), then switch on the case-sensitive search option, and after that the number of cases, in other words the frequency of the word "panel" typed the way I spelled it in the search panel, shows up somewhere within search panel tiny window. And then I can type "Panel" in the same field and see how many cases of the word spelled with "P", not "p", are there in the document in question. Again this is intended to ease the replacement process as I would be able to understand how dangerous it is (in case of possible mistakes) to do the replacement automatically with the help of TextMaker instead of doing it manually) Sorry for vague explanations.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing further details. Please check and test this feature. This is exactly how it's working. If you are still facing any problem, please share a sample document with details of the problem.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”