Conditional format Blank cells

keithm

Conditional format Blank cells

Post by keithm »

Hi, I want to highlight all cells in a row dependent on the content of one cell.
I have a 'formula' rule set which is intended to do this, but it only seems to work on cells which have content.
To explain, I want the row for "Today" to have all its cells yellow.
I have set the rule for the 'text' colour to be black, 'background' colour yellow. That leaves empty cells uncoloured. I have added 'shading' to the format of the rule, but nothing seems to happen either to the cells with content or without.
Applying a rule with 'shading' seems to work on a single cell, but when I apply it to the rule which covers the whole row, nothing happens.
Am I trying to do the impossible?
KeithM
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Conditional format Blank cells

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, could you please post an example file here?
keithm

Post by keithm »

Miguel, Hello.
Attached is an example file. Today, row 302 shows what I have, cell P302 shows what I would like to achieve across the whole row. Obviously, the highlights move on as the date changes.
This file contains quite a bit of confidential info, so please respect my privacy.

Many thanks, KeithM
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, I was able to create what you intended to. Please check the attached file.

From what I figured you have many overlapping conditional rules over the same cells that are probably causing you trouble.

PS: I deleted your file from your post, for privacy issues. I checked and it was only downloaded once (by me).
Attachments
Example 2019 RBS Spending Analysis Jan Dec-edited.pmdx
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
keithm

Post by keithm »

Miguel, Good Morning.
That seems so easy, I wonder why I couldn't get it to work?
I have got my sheet to work as I wished, and I have deleted the various other rules relating to other cells which I was trying to make yellow ground.
Before contacting you I had studied the Manual, and I think the only thing I may have been doing wrong was to try to put the rule into a single cell and then copying, rather than selecting the whole range and entering the formula without worrying about which cell it went into.
As we followers of Shakespeare say "all's well that ends well".
Many thanks, KeithM
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Hi Keith, I'm glad it worked for you :)

A piece of advice for you and all future readers of this post: it's always good practice to optimize the number of conditional formatting rules in a document. The more you have, the more computer resources it uses.
This is especially helpful in spreadsheets such as yours that have the potential to grow as you insert accounting movements every day.
Every 6 months, I would advise you to select the entire sheet and do a cleanup for duplicate conditional formatting rules.

This tip is helpful not only for PlanMaker but also for Excel and other spreadsheet applications.

Return to “PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”