Split window / freeze panes feature

EFats

Split window / freeze panes feature

Post by EFats »

Both 2016 and 2018 have a "Freeze" feature, this is useful for if I have headers on the top row, for example.
What it doesn't seem to have is "unsynchronized" scrolling for each pane..

e.g. suppose I Freeze both columns and rows, so that I have 4 "panes".
In the lower 2 panes, vertical scrolling is "synchronized" but the top 2 panes are locked for vertical scrolling (i.e. doesn't scroll). Similarly, the right 2 panes are synchronized for horizontal scrolling.

What I would like to see is the option to turn on/off the synchronized scrolling so that, for example, the header row always stays put and then you can scroll down the lower left pane, but the lower right pane does not follow.
Open/LibreOffice and Excel behave like PlanMaker currently does. Lotus 1-2-3 has this additional feature, not only can I have a header row which stays fixed, I can split the window side-by-side so I can look at 2 places in the same spreadsheet at the same time.
It's also pretty common to have this in many text editors where you can "split" the window so you can view 2 sections of the same file

Usage cases:
[1] I have a top row with headings and columns of data. In one section of the spreadsheet, I add a chart. In Lotus 1-2-3, what I can do is keep adding data at the bottom of the columns but the chart can stay fixed so I can see the changes in the chart as well as look at the latest data at the bottom of the sheet. In every other spreadsheet the only hack around I can think of is to place a chart above the headers and freeze both the headers and the charts in the top row.

[2] I have 2 sections of data, let's say real-estate sale prices spanning multiple years. I want to look at the data for summer 2016 vs summer 2017. Right now the only way is to use 2 separate spreadsheets and put the windows side-by-side or copy 'n paste the data next to each other
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Split window / freeze panes feature

Post by sven-l »

I will refer your suggestion to the product management.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”